Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thursday Report (and a funny story)

Good day today.  Here's the low down:

DIET:
yogurt - 120
go lean cereal - 200
milk - 40
ZONE protein bar - 200
battered fish - 175
tarter sauce - 75
2 slices of trader joe pizza - 200
two Joe Joe's - 130
Stir Fry with:
- wild grain rice - 150
- Broccoli - 30?
- Carrotts - 30?
- Onion - 20?
- Cashews - 110?
- Chicken - 120?
- Soyaki Sauce - 50
TOTAL: 1650

EXERCISE:
an hour weights class at the gym
ran 2 miles

Okay, so there is this guy at the gym who looks just like Michael Scoffield (Wentworh Miller) from Prison Break.  He has got to be a runner or something, because he is often doing sprint training on the treadmill.  Today, I ended up on the treadmill next to him and seeing him do mile runs at a speed of 8-10 (you know when you SNEAK a peek at another persons numbers on their machine!); it was making me feel somewhat competitive.  I usually run at 6.5... Not the fastest, but good for me since I am NOT a runner.  Today I started out at 7 and went up to 9 on each of my mile runs.  I have seen this guy get up to 13 on some runs before.  But for me, I felt good because I pushed myself and had a little bit of adrenaline at the thought of running next to Wentworth Miller (what if it really was him, you know?  Ha!  I am TOTALLY kidding!)  But I had a BRIGHT red face by the end of two miles and when I checked my heart rate... don't worry, it was in the 190's!  Okay, so definitely OUT of my zone, but maybe it's good to push my heart every once in awhile..?  (I am going to research that because Kolby thinks I was crazy and says that it's NOT good to be out of your zone).        

... Okay, I researched it (I'm posting this after the fact).  This is what I found.  It's interesting so I thought I'd share.  I probably won't be pushing my heart like that again:

QUESTION:
Is it bad to exercise above your target hear rate?:

ANSWER:
YES, this is bad because your workout becomes anaerobic.  This means that your body is burning energy without the presence of oxygen.  The carbohydrates in your muscles start to burn which causes acute exhaustion when this energy supply is burned off.  Your body can exercise aerobically until your body can no longer provide nutrients and oxygen to your muscles; this burns energy provided to your muscles, not the energy that the muscle is made of.  Anaerobic exercise only burns the energy within the muscle.  So, keep the heart rate down a little.  Let the body provide the energy, not the muscles.  

MY TARGET HEART RATE - 105 - 163


2 comments:

Carrie Anne said...

oh i love it! i should probably figure out my ideal heart rate but then i don't know how to keep track of it as i run...i'm doing good just to keep track of my calories & exercise! way to go girl! i'm excited for tomorrow!

Dane and Natalie said...

Look at you - little competitive racer. I run way slower than that. You can run next to me and beat me any day of the week. I don't know if I want to run next to you - you would totally kick my butt. Love the story! I don't think it's good to STAY in anaerobic for more than a couple of minutes but I think it's important to go there about once or twice a workout. How else can you build endurance?

I have been going to every kind of class you can think of for about 10 years now and most of the cardio-based classes do one or two sections where you go anaerobic for about 2 minutes.

I swear that's what helped me get into such good shape last time. The change is good for your heart. There's my two cents. Love ya!