Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I think my confidence is BACK...!?

Yesterday was such a good day for me. It was Emma's birthday so I did give in on the junk and probably went over calorie-wise, but for whatever reason I finally feel that my confidence is back. Having gained eight pounds in a matter of 6 weeks or so was a very discouraging for me. It is crazy how much it can affect you mentally, even though I know I'm pregnant and it should be okay to gain weight. I think it's because I KNOW I haven't been making as healthy of eating choices as I have the last several months; the gain was NOT entirely because of pregnancy, it was because of MY POOR CHOICES! Anyway, it has been a mental struggle for me and has dampened the joy I usually feel from working out.

Today, I got on the treadmill and ran 3 miles. I didn't push myself too hard, but I was encouraged by how easy and most important, how FUN it was. You have to understand that I LOVE to work out! So to have that joy gone for the last several weeks has been hard. Today I felt encouraged that I CAN DO THIS! I can be pregnant and still enjoy this hobby. Even if the weight bar on my "row" lifts in weights class touches my belly much sooner than it did before! I shouldn't care that I have a pooch so early on in my pregnancy!... it's not affecting my abiblity to stay active! I am going to stop feeling sorry for myself and take control again! I am going to LOVE my work outs like I did before!

I think I have been most discouraged by the inch I've gained back on my thighs and the 1.5 inches I've gained on my hips! Oh and did I mention the 4% I've gained back in body fat! Okay, that is the one that probably hurts the most! If I can ever get back to 15% body fat after this baby, I will have reached my goal! Regardless of what the scale says!

All that said, I have to admit that I feel selfish how much time I give to going to the gym each day. Because of the big chuck of time I sacrifice, it affects my whole day. I usually don't get home from the gym until noon. It's not that I spent HOURS working out, it just takes awhile to drive, get Emma dropped off and all of that. After lunch and preschool drop off, I only have 1.5 hours before I get Jax which is usually spent running errands or whatever (that is if I had time to shower before dropping Emma off). Needless to say, this means that my HOUSE (laundry, cleaning, budgeting, projects, etc, etc, ) gets neglected! I am trying to figure out a better balance. If anyone has any ideas, let me know! (I think now that it's getting warmer, I need to hit the gym EARLY, but that means I can't do the classes that I LOVE).

So, now that Emma's birthday is over, I can start working to control the sugar intake again! I did okay last week, but I never really wrote my calories down and that makes a huge difference. So, I will try to track for the rest of today and for sure will start writing it down tomorrow and I'll report back. I had to babysit kids this morning, so no gym. I am going to try to go before dinner tonight.

Until next time...

3 comments:

S. Schuller said...

You look great! I remember getting down to where I wanted to be before I got pregnant with Miles and then it was like, bam! I instantly gained back about 10 pounds. I know what a morale-destroyer that can be. And, sadly, even after he was born, it took me a long time to accept that I had a good 20 pounds that I wanted to lose. But, you will lose the weight and you probably won't even have that much to lose the way you're being so dedicated. Keep it up!

Carrie Anne said...

i completely hear you ali! when i don't get my run or weights in early in the morning i get so bummed about it but then i just recently decided to get over it for now. as much as i'd love to spend hours every day working out, it's just not realistic at this point of my life b/c i have young children. i rarely shower on the days i work out b/c i have no time b/c i'm running kids around all day! ugh i know!:) but, the important thing is that you are motivated & you'll be even more motivated after you have the baby b/c you've learned some important things with your health. i've struggled with the nursing/calories/fat thing b/c the babe still nurses pretty much exclusively & i like that he does but i hate that i need extra calories with nursing & running & i'm still fatty! but honestly when i do some of these runs I am so wiped out & starving for days after! it's so weird! anyway, just keep your head up & i'd say enjoy your workouts while pregnant & don't be too hard on yourself or push yourself too much...you want it to be happy & fun, you know? you rock sister & i miss you!

Colorado Smarts said...

You are pretty sneaky...how far along are you. Did I miss something before?? Good luck with the pregnancy and working out.